- Theatre Archives NZ has created a National Register of New Zealand theatre collections held by theatre organisations, individuals, companies, venues, libraries, archives, museums, and historical societies. It can be found on our database page. This lists more than 400 New Zealand theatre collections and provides information on where they are held and how they can be accessed. You can contact us for more information here
Researchers interested in theatre archives may also find these online resources useful:
- The National Library of New Zealand provides access to the archives and manuscript collections at the Alexander Turnbull Library through the Tapuhi database
- The Hocken Library holds archives relating to theatre and drama in Dunedin and the wider Otago area. The Hocken collections can be searched using the Hakena database
- Auckland Library Theatre Resources; Auckland City Library Manuscripts online; Auckland City Library Ephemera collection; Kura: Heritage Collections Online
- Theatre Aotearoa
- Archives New Zealand has created a Community Archives Directory of community collections, large and small, held throughout New Zealand. The records of many local theatre companies are likely to have been deposited here.
We thank all those who contributed to our finding aid. If you have any theatre or drama records that could be added to it, please contact Theatre Archives NZ.
Please let us know if you require help.
Since 2003 we have been engaged in a programme of interviews to provide an oral archive of the emergence of professional theatre in New Zealand from the 1950s.
Oral Histories at the Alexander Turnbull Library:
Link to Interviews from 2003-2007
Link to Interviews from 2011-2014
These are a transcribed series of three-hour interviews, all with basic indexing that includes name/keyword searching, that are held by the Turnbull Library.
- Bernard Esquilant and William Menlove. Founders of the Southern Comedy Players, Dunedin
- Yvette Bromley. Co-founder of The Court Theatre, Christchurch
- Raymond Boyce. Professional designer, working in theatre, opera, & ballet
- Ralph McAllister. Teacher of drama; Director
- Patric Carey. Founder of the Globe Theatre, Dunedin
- Paul Minifie. Actor; Director
- Raymond Hawthorne. Founder of Theatre Corporate, Auckland; Actor; Director
- Ian Mune. Actor; Director; Film maker; Writer; Teacher
- George Henare. Actor
- Martyn Sanderson. Actor; Director; Founder of Downstage Theatre
- Bill Sheat (OBE). Lawyer; Council Member on Drama Panel of the Arts Council; Inaugural Chairman of the Board of Toi Whakaari: NZ Drama School; Inaugural Chairman of the Film Commission; Chairman of the Royal Ballet
- Roger Hall. Playwright; Teacher
- Pat Hawthorne. Original staff member of Downstage Theatre. Former board member of Playmarket and Theatre Archives New Zealand
- Ray Henwood. Actor; Co-founder of Circa Theatre
- Renée. Playwright
- Peter Vere-Jones. Actor; Writer
- Elric Hooper (MBE). Artistic Director of The Court Theatre 1979-1999
- Jennifer Ward-Lealand. Actor; Director; board member
- Michael Hurst. Actor; director
- Susan Wilson. Actor; Director
- David Carnegie. Co-Founder of Fortune Theatre; Academic
- Simon Prast. Co-Founder ATC; Actor; Director
- Simon Bennett. Co-Founder BATS Theatre; Director
Caring for your Theatre Archives is a manual for people dealing with theatre archives, and is designed to be an easy-to-follow guide.
The manual covers all the basic steps of archives practice, including:
- What are Theatre Records and Archives?
- Theatre Archives Management
- A Policy for Theatre Archives
- Collecting Theatre Archives
- To Keep or not to Keep
- Depositing your Archives
- Documenting Theatre Archives
- Taking Control
- Appraising Photographs
- Preservation and Conservation
- Using Theatre Archives
- Digital archive management
As well as giving practical instruction on how to deal with archives, the manual includes Appendices that give useful examples, and information on how to obtain supplies.
While the manual is published to give assistance to theatre archivists and others responsible for or holding theatre archives, it will be useful to all people who care for archives of small organisations, and who do not have ready access to training or to outside expertise.
The manual is available as an ebook from Playmarket. Purchase it here
Victoria University of Wellington, School of English, Film, Theatre and Media Studies
National Library of New Zealand
Alexander Turnbull Library
Te Whaea National Dance and Drama Centre, Nola Millar Library
The Film Archive
NZ On Screen
Theatre New Zealand
Musical Theatre NZ
Theatre Aotearoa -- NZ Theatre Database
New Zealand Theatre
Auckland Theatre Company
Taki Rua Productions
The Court Theatre
Naples Theatre Archives
Scottish Theatre Archive
International Association of Libraries and Museums of the Performing Arts